Common Electrical Problems Requiring Professional Repairs


Bad wiring in your home or business can be very dangerous and could result in fires. If you notice problems with your electricity, such as warm switch plates, the smell of burning wires, or bakelite or flickering lights, you should have an electrician come out and conduct an inspection. Here are some common electrical problems which they can easily correct.

Overloaded Circuits

If you have a smaller house with few outlets and are using power strips to plug in additional appliances or electronics, you could easily overload the circuit and cause it to switch off. If this happens frequently, you should consider having electricians in Kent add more outlets to your house. They can also add a breaker so there are no more issues with breakers being tripped because they are overloaded.

Warm Switches

If you have a dimmer switch, it isn’t unusual for it to be warm, because they often have bulbs in them so they can be seen when it is dark in the room. However, if the outlet plate itself feels warm, then it could be caused by arcing electricity. Contact an electrician if you feel that the outlet is too warm or doesn’t work correctly, so they can inspect it and repair any problems.

Burning Smell

Burning electricity has a distinctive smell, almost like badly burnt popcorn or burning plastic. If you detect this smell in your home or business, especially if it smells acrid, you should call an electrician right away. Shorts in the electrical system could cause fires which can destroy your property and risk the lives of the people in your home or building.

You should contact an electrician any time something electrical needs to be done in your home or business. Even something as simple as changing a light fixture can be dangerous, but professionals can get it done safely.

Leave A Reply