If you’re planning a new roof you may want to consider all your options in roofing materials. Many options are dependent upon the area of the country you live in and the style of house you own but you have a lot of choices. You can talk to custom roofing company and see what material suits your climate.
If you need further information about any of these roofing materials, Logik roofing Pickering can help you choose the best material for your home.
- Composition shingles, better known as asphalt make up almost 80% of residential roofs. The shingles come in a wide array of colors and are one of the most affordable types of roofing.
- Clay tiles are commonly found on homes along the west coast. Clay tiles won’t rot or burn and have a lifespan that may even out last the structure beneath. The one disadvantage to clay tile is the weight.
- Wood shakes and shingles are a traditional and rustic favorite. They are usually made of cedar. A shake or shingle roof requires extra maintenance and may be subject to rot, mold and insects.
- The slate is thin layers of rock cut like shingles. They can be laid in various patterns for a very unique look. Slate roofing has a long life span, is low maintenance and won’t burn, rot or deteriorate due to the sun’s UV rays. Like clay tiles, slate can be heavy and may require extra support.
- Fiberglass roofing panels are made from very fine glass fibers. The panels are durable, flexible and come in a variety of colors. Fiberglass roofing panels are considerably cheaper than other types of panel roofing but can last up to 30 years with very little maintenance.
- A metal standing seam roof is made up of many vertical interlocking panels. Metal roofs long lasting and virtually maintenance free. You can talk to the roofing company Toronto and discuss your options for metal roofing.
- Concrete tiles are a fairly new roofing material. Concrete won’t burn or rot and is impervious to insects. The material is actually very light when compared to tiles or slate which prevents the need for added support.
- A hot mop asphalt roof is primarily a commercial application used on flat roofs. It cost less than other materials and when applied properly will last for several years. While it may be a necessary application in commercial areas, it is often restricted in residential locations.
- Plastic corrugated roofing is another material that is recent to the roofing industry. Plastic roofing has no seams for moisture to seep through and it will reflect almost 90% of UV rays. This makes it ideal for warmer climates because the lower heat absorption can reduce the cost of cooling your home.
- A green or living roof may not be all that common but with the heightened awareness toward protecting the environment it does deserve mention. A green roof provides excellent insulation while improving the air quality of the surrounding environment.